Grand Scandinavia - Preview 2021
Grand Scandinavia – Preview 2021
Sail the Baltic Sea, crossing rolling tundra and glassy fjords in your search for the midnight sun, all the while enjoying the local culture, history and striking scenery.
- Alta: Savour a delicious oven-baked dinner of local seasonal specialities of fresh salmon or the local’s favourite, reindeer, served with fresh salads and wine.
- Oslo: Scandinavian hospitality is matched with fine food and a glass of wine at your Celebration Dinner.
- Dining Summary: 19 Breakfasts (B), 7 Dinners (D) and 4 Dinners with Wine (DW) all with tea or coffee.
- Alta: Meet Trine Lyrek at her working husky farm. Gain an insight to the challenges Trine and her Alaskan Huskies face when competing in marathon Arctic dog sled races. There’s also time to have a play with these gorgeous pups.
Top Rated Highlights
- Copenhagen: Explore with your Local Expert. See Hans Christian Andersen’s Little Mermaid on the harbour, the Renaissance Stock Exchange, Rosenborg Castle and Amalienborg Palace.
- Copenhagen: With a Local Expert, witness the regal interior of Christiansborg Palace, with its stunning tapestries, furnishings and decor.
- Øresund Bridge: Cross this magnificent fiat of engineering. It’s the longest road and rail bridge in Europe, spanning 8 kilometres.
- Stockholm: Wander through Gamla Stan, the Old Town, with your Local Expert to see the cathedral and the Royal Palace.
- Stockholm: With a Local Expert, step inside the City Hall where the fabulous Gyllene salen, the Golden Hall is covered by 18 million gilded mosaic tiles. You’ll also see the Blå hallen, the Blue Hall, where the Nobel Prize banquets are held.
- Cruise: Admire the beautiful views from your high-class, sea-view cabin as your cruise through the largest archipelago in the world, from Stockholm to Helsinki.
- Helsinki: Your Local Expert will show you the sights of the harbour city. Wander through the aromatic stalls of a traditional food market and sample local produce like liquorice or smoked reindeer before enjoying free time to explore the harbour of this fascinating city of design.
- Kuopio: Admire the spectacular panoramic views from atop Puijo Tower.
- Oulu: Visit Northern Finland’s oldest city. It is also one of the most important harbour cities in all of Northern Europe.
- Rovaniemi: See Alvar Aalto’s Town Hall and visit the cathedral. You’ll even receive an Arctic Circle Crossing certificate.
- Rovaniemi: Meet Santa Clause when you visit his village where it is Christmas all year round! From his post office, you can make sure that Santa sends Christmas letters to friends and family back home come December.
- Sodankylä: Visit one of Lapland’s oldest churches.
- Ivalo: Enjoy an orientation as you arrive into the village.
- Karasjok: See the Sami Parliament and continue on to visit the museum devoted to Sami history and culture, offering a glimpse into the old Sami lifestyle.
- North Cape: Journey to mainland Europe’s most northern point to see something that doesn’t happen – sunset! Even at midnight, the sun clings to the horizon. This once-in-a-lifetime unique experience is accompanied by champagne and caviar to make it even more special. Stand near the fence of the towering cliffs, dramatically rising out of the sea and you will feel as if you are on the edge of the world, and you literally are.
- Narvik: Learn more about the scenic town of Narvik and its history as you gaze upon the majestic mountains that surround the town.
- Mosjøen: See the street of historic, 19th century wooden buildings and Norway’s oldest octagonal church.
- Hell: Tell all your friends you travelled through!
- Trondheim: During you orientation with your Travel Director, see the Market Square and its statue of Olav Tryggvason, the Nidaros Cathedral, the Tyholt Tower and Old Town Bridge.
- Geiranger: Enjoy an orientation of Geiranger to learn more about this small village and the surrounding Fjords.
- Geiranger: Cruise along the deep, blue waters of majestic Geirangerfjord, surrounded by snow-covered mountains, gushing waterfalls and lush green vegetation.
- Lillehammer: Explore the town where the 1994 Winter Olympics were held.
- Oslo: Guided by your Local Expert, see the impressive Akershus Castle and the Royal Palace.
- Oslo: Stand beneath the scrolled prows and hand cut hulls of 9th century ships that carried Viking nobles to the afterlife and learn about their traditions and culture when you visit the Viking Ship Museum.
- Oslo: Take a moment to contemplate the interesting Vigeland sculptures when you visit Frogner Park.
- Scenic Drives: You’ll be enamoured by the natural beauty of Scandinavia as you travel through the Skåne Region, along Lake Vättern, through Lapland and upon the Four Winds’ Road. Pass Kåfjord, the Lyngen Alps, the Rago National Park, Laksfoss Falls, through Norwegian Fjordland, past Dovre Mountains, the Rondane National Park and through Pyr Gynt Country.
Included Insight Services
- Our highly-skilled Travel Director will ensure your journey is seamless, serving as your expert guide, consummate organiser, and friend overseas.
- Enjoy the comfort of Insight’s luxury, air-conditioned, 40-seat coach with double the standard legroom and onboard washroom.
- Personal radio headsets give you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights, without missing any of your Local Expert’s fascinating commentary.
- We carry your bags for you and promptly deliver them to your hotel door.
- Hotel and restaurant tips are included – you’ll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency. We also include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels.
- Stay connected with…
Welcome to Copenhagen.
Wonderful, Wonderful Copenhagen.
On to Stockholm, City of Islands.
Stockholm and Baltic Sea Cruise.
Lakes and Forests to Kuopio.
The Road to Rovaniemi.
Rovaniemi and Lapland.
Across the Arctic Circle to Ivalo.
The North Cape.
Through Finnmark to Alta.
A World of Adventure in Alta.
Across Tysfjord to Mosjøen.
Laksfoss Falls to Trondheim.
Geiranger, Jewel of the Fjords.
Geiranger at Leisure.
Oslo, the Capital.
Out of Oslo.